General Information

School Information:

Polk City Elementary School
125 S Bougainvillea Ave
Polk City, FL 33868
Phone: (863) 965-6338
Fax: (863) 965-6340

School Hours: 7:45am – 3:00pm

Tardy Bell: 8:00am
Dismissal Bell: 3:00pm

Early School Dismissal: 12:30pm

Principal:  Jennifer Erb-Hancock

Our History

Mr. Van Horn purchased two square miles of land in what is now the center of Polk City. The land was cleared, and the area began to expand. By the middle of 1925 Polk City had become a busy little place. The increasing population and new construction led to the incorporation of the town of Polk City on April 3, 1925. Mr. Van Horn was responsible for naming the town. The city was named after the county, itself named after James Knox Polk the 11th president of the United States. The town was changed by ordinance to the City of Polk City in 2005.

In the center of this town, a portion of land was donated by the Van Horn Company for the purpose of building a school. Polk City Elementary School was built in 1926. It was a modern building with an efficient corps of teachers and was widely recognized through the community. The school had three sections. The central portion of the building housed the office and a large community room with a stage. This room could seat up to 200 people and was used by the community and the school. The other two sections contained the four classrooms that housed student beginners through eighth grade. When the school opened in September of 1926 there were only 64 students enrolled. The student body increased steadily throughout the year until by the close of that first year there were 90 students. As the city grew, so did the school. The school was known as a “Home” institution. Polk City Elementary School has always been the heart of this small town and it has provided a place for education for generations of families in the town.

The original building is still part of Polk City Elementary and it houses the main office building, a multi- purpose room and offices for resource teachers. Since the humble beginnings, the school has grown from 64 students to over 600 students from Pre-K to fifth grade. While the school may look slightly different and may be a bit larger than when it first began, one thing remains the same; it is a community school in the heart of a sweet little town who will continue to educate children for generations to come.

What Makes Us Different?

Annual Cake Auction- The cake auction is our biggest fundraiser for the school. Parents, community members and staff bake cakes for the auction. Parents, families, community members, business partners, and staff have bidding wars to purchase the cakes for top dollar! This annual fundraiser ensures the school has the funds to enhance the educational experience for our students. In the past funds have been used for sound systems, technology, picnic tables, library furniture, field trips, and much more.